Meet Our Instructors
PGA Master Professional
Golf Digest Best Teachers by State, 2017-2018
Teacher of the Year, Southern Ohio PGA - 2016
Top 50 Kids Teacher, US Kids
2017 GMC Coach of the Year - Girls Golf
As one of 200 PGA Master Professionals in Teaching and Coaching, Gene’s passion for learning and teaching has guided his career, influencing his students along the way. Over the years, Gene has dedicated himself to developing his skills through education, experience and application. A few of his accomplishments are: PGA Master Professional in Instruction (1 of 200 nationwide), Four PGA Certifications, Titleist Performance Institute Certification, K-Vest Level 2 Certification, Certified Club Fitter by Titleist, Ping and TaylorMade.
Gene has also studied under multiple Top 100 Instructors and PGA Teacher of the Year Recipients. He has used technology for teaching and fitting, including FlightScope, TrackMan, TaylorMade MATT System and Titleist Performance Monitor. Gene has also studied the biomechanics of the body/swing connection at PGA Kinematics Lab and Titleist Performance Institute.
Gene works with each individual to establish their goals, then creates the roadmap to achieve and surpass those goals. He works with each student’s strengths to develop an efficient and effective golf swing through proper kinematic sequencing and golf swing mechanics. Gene also focuses on flexibility, mobility and strength to shorten the learning curve. This approach helps students achieve their goals quicker and reduce the possibility of injury. Giving back the golf community and supporting the PGA of America is important to Gene.
A few examples of this commitment are below:
- President, SW Chapter of Southern Ohio PGA
- Southern Ohio PGA Horton Smith Award Recipient, 2012 and 2014. This is awarded to a PGA Professional for outstanding and continuing contributions to developing and enhancing educational opportunities for the PGA Golf Professional
- PGA President’s Council on Growing the Game, 2005 & 2006
- 2011 Hamilton County Park District Strategic Plan Committee
- SOPGA Section Education Committee—Chair, 2009-2012
- SOPGA SW Chapter Board of Directors—Member at Large, 2010-2011
- PGM Adjunct Faculty, 1998-2003, 2006-07 and 2010-present
- PGA Master Professional Faculty Member, 2006-07
- PGA Team CPP (Certified Professional Program) Faculty Member, 2006-07
- PGA Magazine Coaching and Mentoring Conference Invitee, October 2010
- PGA Magazine National Clubfitting Conference Invitee, December 2010
- SOPGA Junior Tour Rules Official, 2010
- Special Olympics Ohio—Athlete Training, 2009, 2010 & 2011
- HCESC Learning Center at North Norwood, Introduced golf to 4-6 grade special needs students
- SOPGA Apprentice Orientation—Speaker, April 2010
- SOPGA Spring Teaching Conference—Created and facilitated, 2010
- PGA Education Subject Matter Expert, 2006-14
Jeff Combs has been a teacher and coach in Lakota School District for over 20 years. The 5 time GMC Golf Coach of the year at Lakota East High School has been a lead instructor at Four Bridges and Shaker Run Golf Academies for past 10 years under Tim Lambert and Gene Powell.
Combs has built Lakota East Golf into a state powerhouse while also instructing male and female students from all over Cincinnati. Coach Combs is the Swing coach, and former caddie for twin brother (Mike Combs) who played professionally on Asian, Hooters and PGA tour events. At Lakota East, Combs is the Director of the Student Athlete Leadership Team (SALT) and started The Lakota Golf Academy in 1997 – reaching over 800 Junior golf participants.
Currently, Combs is instructing top area high school golfers, collegiate players and adult /junior clients of all levels. Coach Combs incorporate his positive attitude and years of coaching and teaching experience to help golfers of all levels improve their games.
“I am looking forward to using my teaching/coaching experience to help area players improve their practice habits and overall game. I feel confident that our Four Bridges Golf Academy Team is the best in Ohio and I am excited to work with the passionate adult golfers at Four Bridges.”
Combs grew up in Middletown, Ohio, where he was an All-league Athlete in Football (Quarterback), Basketball and the Pole Vault in high school at Middletown Madison.
Michelle is a native of Clinton County, Ohio. She attended East Clinton High School and graduated from Laurel County High School in Kentucky. Her golf career continued at Florida International University in Miami, Florida, where she attended on a golf scholarship. After playing the mini tour for one season she competed in LPGA Q-School in 1987. This was followed by obtaining her PGA membership in 1991 and working at Kenwood CC and Bel-Wood CC for 15 years.
She has coached boys and girls high school golf at Mason High School as well as women’s golf at the University of Cincinnati. Michelle enjoys teaching and promoting golf especially when it pertains to the mental side of the game and course management. She believes that fundamentals are the secret key that is so often overlooked.
*Head Golf Professional
*PGA Class A Member Quarter Century Club
*National Teaching and Coaching Summit
* National Women's Golf Coaches Convention
* University of Cincinnati Women's Assistant Coach
* Mason High School Boys and Girls Varsity Coach
*Two -Time Southern Ohio Section Ladies Champion
*Two- Time NCAA Division I National Championship Qualifier
* US Amateur Qualifier
*LPGA Q School
* Futures Tour
* Kentucky High School State Champion
* Ohio State Junior Champion
*Junior World Qualifier